In Thursday’s post about our March Madness Contest, we showed you how to win $10,000 without knowing anything about college basketball. While the best way to make your “basketball guru” friend/spouse/coworker jealous is to win the $10,000 prize in our NCAA Tournament Contest, a lot of people want to be able to speak the March Madness lingo now. If you feel like you’re being left out of the conversation, try jumping in with one of these golden one-liners and win the respect of any college basketball fan!
- “This year’s first big upset will be Robert Morris over Michigan State.” While Robert Morris would only be the 5th number 15 seed in history to win their 1st round match up, standout guard Jeremy Chappell gives them a chance of pulling the big upset.
- “With DeJuan Blair running the show, this could be the year Pittsburgh finally goes deep in the tourney.” Pittsburgh, who has traditionally been a strong team during the regular season, always seems to fall apart in the tournament, losing early on to weaker teams. However, many predict this will be the year where they prove they can make a splash in the big dance.
- “The West bracket is definitely the strongest with both Memphis and Connecticut. Both of them could be number one teams.” Both Memphis and Connecticut have been extremely good this year and it could be argued that either deserves the number one spot in this bracket.
- “I think either Mississippi State, Siena, or Purdue will be this year’s Cinderella team”. A “Cinderella team” is a team that no one expects much success out of, but like the fabled Cinderella, turns out to be a surprise success. Any of these 3 teams could be a Cinderella story this year.
- “Oklahoma and Syracuse are a sure fire sweet 16 matchup, but can Blake Griffin lead Oklahoma to victory?” **Warning, Advanced March Madness Lingo!** If you run out of other phrases to use, give this one a whirl. But remember to memorize it carefully, or a true college basketball fan will smell that you’re faking it!
Have any other good one-liners that will make you sound like a bracket master? Add it to the comment section below!