When it comes to getting consistent legitimate traffic to your website you’re going to have to do more than sit back and cross your fingers.
Just like how anyone can open a store in your home town, anyone can put up a website or put their wares online, but just because you put up the page doesn’t mean anyone is going to stop by. You need to make sure you give people both a reason to spend some time on your page, and the opportunity for them to find you in the first place.
Real world businesses live and die by the motto: location, location, location. Online isn’t so different, where you show up in Google can often mean the difference between success and failure. Fortunately getting yourself to rank well isn’t as simple as snapping your fingers or paying a few dollars.
To truly succeed online you’re going to have to excel in all three of the following areas:
- Web Design
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media
You need a site worth spending time on, you need to give people the ability to find it and you need to have a strong enough online reputation to be deemed trustworthy.
While it’s possible to dedicate your entire life to just one of these principals we’ve put together a guide of 10 commandments for each. If you want more information, tips and insight head down to the bottom of the page for a massive list of links to hand-picked articles from the people who do it best.
Enjoy the graphic below (click for the full-shebang), and if you’re feeling generous please share it.
P.S. This graphic is a bunch of images and code. If you want to add it to your site you need to use the embed code.
You can’t just save the picture and upload it. Doing that will lose all clickable functionality.
To embed the Teaser (like above 500px by 820px) copy & paste the text below to your blog.
To embed the full infographic (1000px by 11450px) select all the text below then hit Ctrl-C to copy.
Links for Life
- Book – Letting Go of the Words (web content writing)
- Book – Tested Advertising Methods
- Book – The New Rules of Marketing & PR
Web Design Links
General/Site-Wide Tips and Tricks
General Writing Tips
Search Engine Optimization Links
- Matt Cutts (the Google insider)
- Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Fast Start (the guide for newbies)
- 21 Essential SEO Tips & Techniques
- International SEO Challenges and Tips
SEO Tools (Paid)
- SEOMOZ (multiple tools, some free options as well)
- Raven Tools (marketing, complete)
- Advanced Web Rankings (complete SEO)
- SEMrush (competitor/market analysis)
- Market Samurai (keywords)
- Wordtracker (keywords)
- Spyfu (keywords)
- SEO Guide to Creating Linkbait
- How to Attract Links and Increase Web-Traffic (The Ultimate Guide)
- Hard Thoughts about SEO & Link Bait
Pay Per Click
Social Media Links
Must Follow Blogs
- Marketing Experiments
- Convince and Convert
- Jeff Bullas
- Pushing Social
- likeable MEDIA
- Brian Solis
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Social Media Explorer
- Social Media Examiner
- Gary Vaynerchuk (video on the thank you economy)
- Social Media Strategy in 7 Steps
- 5 Ways to Maximize Social Media Productivity in the Workplace
- Branding: Branding Strategy Insider
- Top 10 Social Media Marketing Mistakes that you Mustn’t Make
- The Ultimate Facebook Guide Book
- How to Take your Company’s Facebook Fan Page from Zero to 40,000 Fans
- The 10 Best Facebook Campaigns (learn from the best)
- Radian6 (complete SM power tool)
- Trackur (SM monitoring and analytics)
- Sysmos (SM monitoring and analytics)
- Brandwatch (SM monitoring and analytics)