Roulette is a fun and exciting game that is notable for taking absolutely zero skill. You could close your eyes and randomly throw chips onto the table from across the room and still be playing right. That’s actually what I do, and if the chip happens to hit the dealer I just tell her it’s a tip. Playing online takes about the same level of skill – if you can click a mouse on some random spot on the table, you can play online roulette. But sometimes you can use lucky or significant numbers to spice up the game and try to get a bit of an edge. And if you ever have trouble choosing where to put those chips, here’s a handy guide to the top 10 ways to pick roulette numbers.
1) Pick the jersey number of your favourite athlete: Michael Jordan’s #23, Vinny Testaverde’s #14 or Pele’s #10. Fans of Wayne Gretzky will have to find a very, very large roulette wheel.
2) Use the birthday of your ex. That way you can finally get some benefit from all the years you spent with that low-down, cheating, lying sack of… (not that I’m bitter)
3) If playing in a real casino, you should bet on the closest numbers to where you’re sitting. This reduces your chances of spilling your drink as you reach for a distant number.
4) Bet on 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29 or 31 because they’re prime numbers, and you know that because you were the vice-president of your high-school math club.
5) Look for hidden symbols and messages in paparazzi photographs of glamorous celebrities, or Lindsey Lohan.
6) Play your age, as long as that age falls between 19 (the legal minimum for gambling) and 35. If you’re too young, I’m afraid you’ll have to go. If you’re older than 35, you can play your metric-system age.
7) Bet on 6, 12 or 24 because you love beer.
8) Go with 8. Don’t ask why. Just do it. You can’t go wrong with 8. If you do though, it’s not my fault. But seriously, go with 8.
9) Select the number where you think the little ball will end up on the next spin of the roulette wheel. Master this skill and you should do very well.
10) Close your eyes and randomly throw chips on the table, or click with your mouse. If you accidentally click the x to shut your browser window, take that as a sign you should try a different game.
Choose a few and go play Roulette now.