Over the last couple of weeks we have brought you some video poker strategies such as video poker basics, video poker tips for beginners, the best video poker odds, and using video poker bonus codes. Today we go over how to play with confidence and win more when faced with tough video poker decisions.
Video Poker Confidence
Second guessing yourself can drop your video poker confidence faster than a lead parachute. To keep your confidence high and your bankroll flying even higher, follow these tips to make the right choice every time you are faced with a tough decision in video poker.
Note: These tips are made for “Jacks or Better” video poker, but generally apply to all versions of the game.
Video Poker Tips For Success
- If you have one of the cards needed for a winning pair, NEVER draw 5 new cards. Example: You have 1 ace and 4 other low junk cards. Always keep the ace and draw 4 more cards instead of drawing a whole new hand.
- If you start out with a straight but are close to a flush or straight flush, NEVER break the straight to go for the flush or a straight flush. Example: You have a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, all clubs except the 7. Even though the straight flush has a bigger payout, it is always better to keep your straight instead of dropping the 7 and going for the straight flush.
- If you have a pair, NEVER keep a third card. Example: You have 2 aces, a queen, and 2 junk cards. Always hold the 2 aces, but never keep the queen. The idea is it is better to have more opportunities to get a 3 of a kind than it is to go for 2 pair.
- If you have 2 cards that could lead to a royal flush, NEVER draw 4 new cards. Example: You have an ace of clubs, a 10 of clubs, and 3 junk cards. Some may think it is best to keep the ace and draw 4 new cards. DON’T DO IT! Always keep both the 10 and the ace and go for the royal flush.
- If you have a flush, NEVER break it to go for a straight flush. Example: You have a 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 of hearts. You already have a flush, but if you drop the 10 you have a chance of getting a straight flush. DON’T DO IT! Always keep the flush because the odds say the risk always outweighs the reward in this situation.
- If you have a flush, ALWAYS break it if you can draw one for a royal flush. Example: You have an ace, king, queen, jack, and 3 of diamonds. You already have a flush, but if you drop the 3 you could get a royal flush. GO FOR IT! Going for a royal flush is the one case where it is better to break the flush to go for the big jackpot. The odds say always go for the royal flush in this situation.
What other video poker tips do you have? Let us know in the comment section below!