Unlike most games you’ll find in a casino or on an online gambling site, video poker actually works slightly in your favor. The game came onto the scene in the 1970s where it became a hit and today it is still one of the most popular forms of gambling available. Not only that, but video poker has a slight advantage for the player over the house. That means – in simplest terms – you’re slightly more likely to win than the house is!
* Start small on the lowest denomination machine, especially if you haven’t played in awhile or you’re totally new at video poker. Some pros like the smaller machines as well just because you’re able to play for fun, longer, and not risk a serious amount of money.
* Take your time to study and analyze each hand. You’re playing against a machine, so it doesn’t really matter how long you take per turn since nobody is being forced to wait on you and you’re not under pressure from anyone else.
* When playing video poker, it’s easy to get ahead in the game at least some of the time by following some time-tested strategies.
* Use machines that pay 9 coins for a full house and 6 coins for a flush.
* If you opt for a progressive game that only pays out 8 coins for a full house, pick a machine where the jackpot is more than $250 on a nickel machine or $10,000 for the dollar.
* On a progressive video poker machine, make it a point to always bet the maximum number of coins. This will ensure you’re in the right position to win on royal flushes.
* If you can, use a casino slot card so that you get credit for all of the games you’re playing. You’ll earn some comp benefits even if you’re losing the hands. Finding out ahead of time what the comp value is always wise as well.