When I first started playing online casino games, it was tough to decide where to start. For example, I had a good idea what a slot machine was, and a general idea of what video poker was all about, but couldn’t decide which one was for me.
After many MANY hours of playing them both, I am writing this article in an attempt to make the similarities and differences between these two popular online casino games more clear.
How Online Slots and Online Video Poker are THE SAME
- Online slots and video poker both have the option to bet anywhere from 1 cent to hundreds of dollars per turn.
- They are both played on similar looking machines, making it easy to go from one to the other.
- They both use a Random Number Generator (RNG) to pick spins and hands to make the games fair and reliable.
- They are both extremely fun and addictive.
How Online Slots and Online Video Poker are DIFFERENT
- Online Slots have bigger jackpots than video poker. Video poker usually has a jackpot (royal flush) of 4000 times your bet. Online slots can have jackpots that pay out millions of times your bet.
- Online slots only require the player to put in money and spin, without much strategy involved. Using proper video poker strategy can win you much more money than haphazardly making decisions at each draw.
- Online slots can be played on autopilot. Video poker requires your attention for each hand played.
- Video poker has better odds than slot machines over the long run (most of the time). In general, video poker odds range from over 95% to 101% payouts. Online slots, on the other hand, have payouts ranging from 90% – 98% on the loosest machines.
- Casino bonus codes usually have a higher playthrough requirement on video poker games than online slots.
- You can play up to 100 hands at once in video poker and only one game at a time at the slots.
What other similarities or differences are there between video poker and slot machines? Add to the conversation by letting me know in the comment section below!
If you found this article helpful, you may also like: video poker winning decisions, how to double your video poker winnings, video poker myths, using video poker bonus codes, and how to manage your video poker bankroll.